Standards of Good Practice for Education Abroad, 6th Edition
6. Student Learning and Development
6.3. After Program
Responsible parties shall support post-program integration and application of academic, professional, and personal learning.
6.3.1. Responsible parties shall create opportunities for reflection.
188.8.131.52. Responsible parties can provide occasions for students to share their experiences through opportunities including panels, photos, videos, essays, and research.
6.3.2. For credit-bearing programs, responsible parties shall support students in the course equivalency and credit articulation process.
6.3.3. Responsible parties should create opportunities for integration of learning abroad with future learning.
6.3.4. Responsible parties shall provide resources related to student mental and physical well-being related to program participation.
6.3.5. Responsible parties should prepare students to identify transferable skills developed through education abroad.
184.108.40.206. Responsible parties should prepare students to communicate the value of education abroad to employers and other audiences.
220.127.116.11. Responsible parties can offer leadership opportunities or ambassador programs for students.
6.3.6. Responsible parties should encourage continuing local and global engagement in culturally-relevant, ethical, and reciprocally-beneficial activities.
18.104.22.168. Responsible parties can work with students to mitigate the social, cultural, economic, and environmental impacts of their travel experiences.
6.3.7. Responsible parties can inform students about opportunities to build upon their learning abroad experience, including, but not limited to, academic, governmental, and non-governmental programs, fellowships, and grants.
Shall = minimum requirement | Should = recommendation | Can = possibility
Prompts for Self Assessment
- What kinds of re-entry programming and support do you offer?
- How do your re-entry offerings include support for students’ mental, emotional, and physical wellbeing as relates to program participation and re-entry?
- What opportunities do you give to students to reflect on their education abroad experience and share their experience with others?
- In what ways do your post-program offerings help students identify transferable knowledge and skills they developed while abroad? How do you support integration and application of those skills into future academic, professional, and personal growth?
- How do you offer all students structured or unstructured opportunities to reflect on diversity, equity and inclusion/exclusion issues post-return?
- How do you facilitate students’ continued engagement with their host communities after their return?
- How do you facilitate participation in additional culturally relevant, ethical global engagement activities?
There are 2 items in the toolbox. Please log-in or join The Forum to access these essential resources.