AIFS/AIFS Foundation Education Abroad Special Collection
About the Collection
The Forum on Education Abroad maintains a Special Collection of education abroad historical material within the Archives and Special Collections Department of Dickinson College, with financial support from the American Institute For Foreign Study (AIFS) and the AIFS Foundation. The purpose of the Special Collection is to collect, preserve, and make available for research primary and secondary materials relating to the history and development of U.S. education abroad from its beginnings until and including the 1990s.
The AIFS/AIFS Foundation Education Abroad Special Collection includes:
- Materials relating to the development of education abroad as a professional field within U.S. higher education;
- Materials relating to specific education abroad programs of historical importance, such as those established early in the history of the field, or the first programs established in a particular geographic location or programs related to a particular academic discipline or topic;
- Correspondence, photographs, training materials, meeting agendas and minutes, or other materials that provide meaningful and significant information about any aspect of the history and development of U.S. education abroad.
The Dickinson College Archives and Special Collections Department houses a number of significant special collections in a state-of-the-art facility within the Waidner-Spahr Library on the campus of Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. The AIFS/AIFS Foundation Education Abroad Special Collection is managed by the staff of the Department in collaboration with The Forum on Education Abroad.
If you are interested in submitting materials to or have questions about the Special Collection, please contact: Elizabeth Frohlich, Director for Programs and Resources, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 717-245-1031.
Browse Materials from the Collection
Contribute to the COVID-19 Archive Collection Efforts
We’re currently collecting any and all COVID-19-related materials to become a part of the AIFS/AIFS Foundation Education Abroad Special Collection, maintained by The Forum and housed by the Waidner-Spahr Library of Dickinson College. These materials will document COVID-19’s effects on the field of education abroad since December 2019 and are being archived so that international education professionals and scholars can learn from this period in our history for generations.
Please share anything related to COVID-19 and how it has been impacted your work, including:
- Policies and procedure updates related to, e.g., health and safety, academic continuity, program go/no-go and contingency plans, etc.
- Program materials, brochures, handbooks, course syllabi, etc. for in-person, hybrid, or virtual programming taking place during the pandemic
- Internal and external communications
- Notes and meeting minutes; webinar recordings
- Data reports
- Blogs, newsletters, personal reflections
Submit Materials Now