2015 State of the Field Survey Report
This report provides the latest data on key issues and trends in education abroad as investigated by the State of the Field Survey since 2006. This year’s report also revisits the questions asked in The Forum’s 2007 Survey on Program Management in Education Abroad to take a look at how ethical practices in program approval and portfolio management have changed in recent years.
Insurance Claims Data and Mortality Rate for College Students Studying Abroad
This Report provides for the first time information on the mortality rate for U.S. students studying abroad with a comparison to students studying on campuses in the U.S. The key finding of the Report is that college students studying abroad are less likely to die than college students studying on campuses in the U.S. The Report is beneficial to The Forum membership and the field by providing a context by which we can understand the relatively rare occurrence of the death of a student abroad.
Critical Incident Database
The Critical Incident Database (CID) is a tool for Forum members to use in tracking critical incidents that occur while their students are abroad. It also serves as a method for tracking required information on incidents that should be reported for a member’s Annual Security Report as required by the Department of Education in compliance with the Clery Act.
2013 Institutional and Program Resources Survey
This survey collected data on education abroad administration (advising and program management) including workload, salaries, and job descriptions.
- 2013 Institutional and Program Resources Preliminary Report
- Gender Bias and Salaries in Education Abroad (March 2014)
State of the Field Surveys
The Forum State of the Field Survey is a signature initiative which takes the pulse of the field on a wide range of issues for all education abroad constituents. Now in its fifth iteration, it is the field’s only source of longitudinal information.
- 2013 State of the Field Survey
- 2011 State of the Field Survey
- 2009 State of the Field Survey
- 2008 State of the Field Survey
- 2006 State of the Field Survey
- Education Abroad Positions: Job Titles and Descriptions (2016)
- Constructing Effective Brazilian – U.S. Partnerships (2013)
- Report on the 2013 Forum Survey to its Members and Subsequent Dialogue with International Officers of Brazilian Institutions at the FAUBAI (Association of Brazilian Higher Education Institutions, Offices for International Relations) Conference
- E-Learning and Education Abroad Survey Results (Public Report, 2013)
- Survey on the Impact of the Global Economic Crisis on Education Abroad (2009)
- Pathways to the Profession Survey (2008)
- Survey on Program Management in Education Abroad (2007), Executive Summary
- Survey on Participation Rates (2003)
Open Doors & Snapshot Surveys
The Forum on Education Abroad and the Institute of International Education (IIE) gather advanced data on study abroad enrollments to supplement the regular U.S. study abroad data collection conducted through IIE’s Open Doors Report on International Education Exchange. The Snapshot Survey provides the study abroad field with top-line study abroad enrollment trends for the academic year, as well as baseline data on non-credit education abroad and participation by non-U.S. citizens in study abroad programs at U.S. colleges and universities.