Board of Directors
(with dates of expiration of term)
Enda Carroll (2020), Chair
Associate Director, Center for Study Abroad
University College Dublin
Susan Popko (2020), Vice-Chair
Associate Provost, International Programs
Santa Clara University
Chair, Nominations/Governance Committee
Kerry Edmonds (2020), Treasurer
Vice President, Finance and Administration
Chair, Finance Committee
John Lucas (2020), Secretary
President and CEO
ISEP: A Worldwide Network for International Education
Tracey Bradley, ex officio
Executive Director, Tennessee Consortium for International Studies/Pellissippi State Community College
Thomas M. Buntru (2019)
Director of International Programs
Universidad de Monterrey
Joy Gleason Carew (2021)
Associate Professor of Pan-African Studies
University of Louisville
Christopher L.W. Elliott (2022)
Assistant Dean of Global Affairs and Director, Center for Global Commerce, McIntire School of Commerce
University of Virginia
Martha Johnson (2021)
Assistant Dean of Learning Abroad
University of Minnesota
Paul J. McVeigh (2021)
Retired, Northern Virginia Community College
Eveadean Myers (2021)
Special Advisor to the President for Internal Affairs and International Initiatives
Prairie View A&M University
Patricia H. Scroggs (2021)
Program Director, Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Program
Bruce Sillner (2021)
Dean of International Programs
State University of New York at New Paltz
Lorna Stern (2022)
Vice President, Arcadia University
Executive Director, The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University
Dawn Whitehead (2021)
Vice President of the Office for Global Citizenship for Campus, Community, and Careers
Association of American Colleges & Universities
Affiliations at time of serving as Founding Board Member
Director, The Learning Abroad Center, University of Minnesota
President, Study Abroad Foundation
Deputy Director, Division of International Programs Abroad, Syracuse University
Associate Provost, International Programs, Kalamazoo College
Executive Vice-President, Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
Director, Higher Education Resource Group, Institute of International Education (IIE)
Director, Office of Internation Education, University of Colorado at Boulder
President, Institute for the International Education of Students (IES)
Director, Study Abroad, University of Pennsylvania
Executive Director, College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS)
Carl A. Herrin
Director, Government Relations, American Councils for International Education: ACTR/ACCELS
Study Abroad Advisor, Amherst College
Director, Education Abroad, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
Director, Center for Education Abroad, Arcadia University
Director of International Opportunities, International Center, University of Michigan
Director, Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University
Assistant to the President and Executive Director of International Programs and Scholarships, Rice University
Associate Dean and Director, Office of Overseas Study, Indiana University
Professor, University of California, Santa Barbara
Michael Vande Berg
Director, International Programs, Georgetown University
The Board as a whole carries certain pivotal responsibilities, including:
- Determining the mission of the organization.
- Selecting, appointing and replacing when appropriate, the President/CEO.
- Monitoring the performance of the organization.
- Approving long-range plans.
- Ensuring the financial solvency and fiscal integrity of the organization.
- Participating and assisting in the processes of providing and attracting philanthropic support.
- Defending the autonomy of the organization.
- Enhancing the public standing of the organization.
- Setting a strategic plan for the Board’s own contributions and regularly assessing its own performance against these plans.
Individual members have the following responsibilities:
- Attending at least three out of every four Board meetings.
- Consistently making judgments based on what is good for the organization and not on what is good for another party or special constituency.
- Contributing actively in the meetings and other Board activities.
- Stating openly during the course of the meetings when they are in disagreement with a majority position.
- Subsequently maintaining the confidentiality of board deliberations.
- Acting as a spokesperson for the entire board only when specifically authorized to do so.
- Consistently using designated organizational channels when conducting board business.
- Making sure that important agenda items are communicated to the Board’s Chair.
- Being an advocate for the organization.
- Bringing their own special talents to help the organization, without infringing on the proper role of Board-Staff responsibilities.
- Participating in fundraising to the extent of the member’s capacities.
- Assisting in fundraising by helping the organization gain access to other philanthropic sources.
- Keeping current on the strategic issues surrounding education abroad.
- Refraining from actions that might prove detrimental to the reputation of the organization.