The Forum’s 19th Annual Conference continues to provide a forum for dialogue about issues of critical importance to the field of education abroad. In 2023, The Forum’s Annual Conference will be unthemed. Yes, we’re going “themeless in Seattle.” Instead of crafting a single overarching theme to shape the narrative of our conference, we are inviting you to drive the content with the themes and topics that are meaningful to you. We recognize the importance of inclusion, connection, reflection, and debate at this turning point in the history of education abroad. Join us for an opportunity to connect and contribute as we re-envision the field together. This call for proposals is an open-ended invitation for you to tell us what is important to you and your communities. We can’t wait to hear what you have to say.
To ensure that the conference content is inclusive and relevant to a range of stakeholders, we encourage panels with representation crossing multiple:
- Experience levels
- Institutions and Organizations
We seek proposals relevant to all institution and organization types, and multiple program models. Proposals relevant to the following audiences, whose voices have been underrepresented at past conferences, are encouraged:
- Community Colleges
- Host institutions
- On-site faculty and staff
- Graduate and professional schools
Additionally, the committee seeks proposals that balance theory/research and practice, provide tangible takeaways, and most importantly, stimulate discussion.
If you are wondering what might appeal most to our audience, here is a list of topics which 2022 Annual Conference attendees told us they would like to see at future events:
- Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in context
- Advancing the United Nations Sustainable Development goals through education abroad
- Online and hybrid global learning
- Health, safety, and well-being
- Assessment and evidence of the impact of education abroad
- The resilience of the field of international education
- Career development, for our students and ourselves
Proposal deadline: Friday, August 19, 2022
Presenter Connection: Have a great proposal idea, but need some assistance rounding out your panel of presenters? The Presenter Connection is a hub to facilitate connections among interested co-presenters. We hope you use this tool to create diverse panels and impactful proposals.
Proposal Submission Template: Use this template to gather information from your co-presenters and prepare your proposal before completing the online form.
Mark Your Calendars for Future Annual Conferences!
- 19th Annual Conference: March 22-24, 2023, Seattle, WA
- 20th Annual Conference: 2024, Boston, MA
- Diverse points of view and multiple voices on the session topic: this can mean different institutions and organizations, and/or types of education abroad colleagues and partners, or contributors from outside the field of education abroad;
- Ample time for comments and/or questions from the attendees;
- A topic that clearly relates to the conference theme;
- A balance of theory and practice;
- Concrete conclusions: sessions offering specific tips, tools, and takeaways;
- Consideration for the different constituencies in education abroad;
- Demonstrated professionalism, preparation, and personality.
What doesn’t work?
- Panels that focus on the accomplishments of only one institution, organization, or program;
- Panels of more than 4 presenters;
- Proposals lacking planned audience engagement and interaction;
- Reading scholarly papers.
The Conference Committee scores each proposal based on the following:
- The proposal adds something new to the existing dialogue in the field.
- The presenters represent diverse perspectives.
- The proposal provides broadly applicable ideas, tools, and takeaways.
- The proposal clearly articulates learning objectives.
- The proposal promotes active learning and audience engagement, creating a forum for dialogue.
Looking for information on past Annual Conferences? Visit the Annual Conference archive»