Standards of Good Practice for Education Abroad, 6th Edition
4. Guiding Principles
Each organization shall collaborate and operate in accordance with ethical principles.
4.3.1. Each organization shall adopt the ethical principles and guidelines established by The Forum on Education Abroad or use an internal code of ethics that includes clauses related to all responsible parties involved in conducting education abroad activities.
4.3.2. Each organization shall prepare its personnel for ethical decision-making and practices.
4.3.3. Responsible parties shall conduct education abroad activities and advise students in an ethically responsible manner.
4.3.4. Responsible parties shall adhere to ethical practices in teaching, work, service/volunteering, and research abroad.
4.3.5. Responsible parties shall make participants aware of the ethical implications of their academic work, activities, and interactions abroad.
4.3.6. Each organization shall promote respect for the cultures and values of all involved, including the communities from which the participants come and the communities in which they operate.
4.3.7. Each organization should consider the social, cultural, economic, and environmental impacts of its education abroad programming.
Shall = minimum requirement | Should = recommendation | Can = possibility
Prompts for Self Assessment
- How does your ethical code align with the ethics outlined by The Forum on Education Abroad?
- How have you prepared responsible parties for ethical decision-making and practices?
- How do you advise students in an ethically responsible manner?
- How do responsible parties follow ethical practices in teaching, work, service/volunteering, and research?
- How do you actively promote respect for the cultures and values of the communities in which you operate among students and personnel?
- How do you sensitize students to the impact of their presence on the communities and environments they visit?
- What steps do you take to limit or mitigate negative impacts of your programming on local communities and environments?
There are 24 items in the toolbox. Please log-in or join The Forum to access these essential resources.