Voices from the South: Decolonial Perspectives in International Education
edited by: Andrea Rizzotti & Héctor Cruz-Feliciano
About this Volume:
Inspired by the Editors’ work with U.S. students studying abroad throughout Latin America and including voices from colleagues working across the Global South, including in Argentina, Chile, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Peru, Senegal, India, and Jordan, this volume seeks to reverse the replication of imperialist and colonial patterns in Global North-to-Global South student mobility by passing the microphone to study abroad professionals based in the Global South. Their experiences and scholarship offer a rich, nuanced, and very current perspective on the challenges colonial attitudes and behaviors present to the field of education abroad and it’s future.
Release date: 2022 | Place your PRE-SALE order for the printed edition now!
Pre-sale is available at the special introductory price of $39.99 plus shipping. Log in or set up your account in our online portal to place your order.Place your PRE-SALE Order
Chapters to include:
- Jaspers’s Conceptions of Guilt in International Education
- White Supremacy, Global Education, and Decolonial Futures
- Shifting the Center: Challenging Ethnocentrism of US Students in Peru
- U.S. Education Abroad’s Unabashed Neoliberalism: One practitioner’s thoughts on “the market” in the MENA region
- An Alternative to Service-Learning: Reframing Community-Based Experiences in a Process-Oriented Approach
- Centering Afro-Colombian Narratives by Exploring Critical Theories and the Complexities of Identity in Study Abroad
- Transformative Experiences to Frame a Decolonial Approach to International Education: Insights from a Study Abroad Program in India
- The Pedagogy of Being Involved: Political Participation as Decolonial Practice in Virtual and On-Site Study Abroad Programs in Buenos Aires, Argentina
About the Editors:
Héctor M. Cruz Feliciano is Director of Latin America Programs and Interim Director of Academic Affairs at CET Academic Programs.
Andrea Rizzotti is currently the Director of International Educational Program (PEI) of the Latin American Studies Department (ADELA) at FLACSO- Argentina and the developer of the International Students Integral Housing System (SIAEI) at the Public University of Buenos Aires (UBA).
Acting as publication and research assistant is Sophia Pekowsky, is currently a student in the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master’s in Gender Studies at Utrecht University and the University of Bologna.
This book is a part of the Standards in Action book series.