The Forum on Education Abroad is an institutional membership association and welcomes as members all institutions of higher learning, consortia, agencies, and organizations who are committed to improving education abroad for U.S. students. Members join a community of dynamic, thoughtful dialogue about the issues facing the field of education abroad. Questions about membership can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join The Forum: Membership Application
Current Members: Helpful Information Request Log-in Access
Categories, Levels & Annual Dues
In January 2019, The Forum Board and leadership convened a task force to streamline the structure and categories for Forum membership. The membership structure has not been amended since 2011 and The Forum’s continued growth and evolution presented the opportunity to readdress the definitions and categories to better serve our members. Revisions to the membership structure will be rolled out in phases over the next two years, with the first set of approved changes going into effect for the 2019-2020 membership year. Subsequently, the membership structure and fees will be reviewed on a two-year cycle to ensure that The Forum continues to engage and meet the needs of its diverse membership.
U.S. colleges, universities, state systems, or consortiums, that offer students access to education abroad opportunities, whether managed by the applicant institution itself, or by other entities. Students enrolled in education abroad programs who are from other institutions must comprise no more than 30% of the total enrollment in the education abroad programs of the applicant. (If enrollment from other institutions exceeds 30%, applicants are considered to be a Provider Organization.)
|Level||Number of U.S. Students Sent Abroad Annually||Annual Dues|
U.S. Institutions with a need for financial assistance have the opportunity to apply for grant funding to help defray the cost of membership.
Universities located outside of the U.S. that engage in outbound mobility or host U.S. students in education abroad opportunities such as study abroad programs, courses, or on exchanges.
|Level||Number of U.S. Students Received* Annually||Annual Dues|
*If an institution outside of the U.S. does not receive U.S. students but does engage in outbound mobility, the membership level will be determined by the number of its students that go abroad as outlined above.
Institutions outside of the U.S. with a need for financial assistance have the opportunity to apply for grant funding to help defray the cost of membership.
Organizations (for-profit or non-profit) that provide education abroad opportunities for students from U.S. colleges and universities. If a U.S. college or university enrolls students from other institutions and these students comprise more than 30% of the total enrolled in the education abroad programs of the applicant, the applicant institution is considered a Provider Organization.
|Level||Number of U.S. Students Received/Sent Abroad Annually||Annual Dues|
Provider organizations with a need for financial assistance will have the opportunity to apply for grant funding to help defray the cost of membership.
Membership associations, businesses, or other entities (either for-profit or non-profit) that do not directly administer or sponsor education abroad opportunities for students but do provide a service in support of education abroad.
Annual dues: $1,030
Select non-profit foundations that donate funds and/or supports through its activities the education abroad field may qualify for a reduced fee. Please contact The Forum at email@example.com for more information and the cost of annual dues.
The Forum maintains selective reciprocal membership arrangements with other membership associations to advance the strategic goals of each association.
While The Forum is an institutional membership association, individuals who are not affiliated with an institution of higher education or an organization that services/supports U.S. higher education study abroad, may apply to receive some of the benefits of membership. An Individual will only be considered for Individual membership if they meet one of the following criteria:
- The individual is between jobs;
- The individual works for a secondary education institution;
- The individual is fully retired;
- The individual is a full-time graduate student enrolled at a non-member institution*
Acceptance of Individual memberships is at the sole discretion of The Forum. Annual dues for an Individual member is $155.
*Graduate students enrolled at a member institution are permitted to take advantage of the institutional membership benefits. Graduate students will be asked to provide expected date of graduation before access to benefits is granted. For more information about this option, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forum Membership Pathway Grant
Grant funding is available to renewing and new Forum members who demonstrate a financial need and/or represent an underrepresented student population or member group.
Quality Assurance & Professional Development
- The opportunity to apply for a Quality Improvement Program (QUIP) Review, The Forum’s signature quality assurance process that recognizes members for meeting the Standards of Good Practice for Education Abroad;
- Reduced fees for staff members to earn The Forum’s Professional Certification in Education Abroad, and no fee for Certification maintenance;
- Discounted registration for all staff members at The Forum’s Annual and European conference, Standards Institutes, and Forum workshops;
- The ability for staff members to apply for the Ron Koehn Grant Award, Annual Conference travel grants and European Conference travel grants to help fund conference participation;
- Participation in members-only webinars and discounted registration for other topic-based webinars throughout the year;
Resources & Research
- Ability for all faculty and staff members at the institution/organization to have log-in access to The Forum’s online resources, which include:
- Standards Toolboxes, which provide vetted materials contributed by members to aid your institution in implementing the Standards of Good Practice;
- The Curriculum Toolbox, an online resource center for faculty and administrators to share their unique approaches to encouraging student learning abroad;
- The Education Abroad Digital Resource Center, a collaboration between The Forum and The New York Times in Education;
- Free access to the Critical Incident Database (CID), a secure, user-friendly tool that can be used to track critical incidents that occur while students are off-campus, including reportable information as required by the Clery Act, Title IX, and VAWA;
- Access to NYTimes.com and NYTimes Smartphone Apps for all of your students studying abroad at the cost of $1.10 per year, per student, with a minimum charge of $1,000;
- The ability to post open positions on ForumJobs: The Forum’s online job board service;
- Participation in Forum-sponsored research projects and surveys;
Participation & Visibility
- Participation in a community of institutions and organizations committed to applying best practices in the field and advocating for quality education abroad for students;
- Participation in a network of colleagues and peers committed to learning best practices, discussing common challenges, and networking with other professionals in the field;
- Participation in the development of standards and guidelines for the field of education abroad;
- Sponsorship and exhibit opportunities at Forum events;
- Opportunities to host regional Forum workshops;
- The opportunity for staff members to apply to be a Forum Trained Facilitator, Certification Assessor, or QUIP Peer Reviewer;
- The opportunity to nominate students for the Award for Academic Achievement Abroad;
- The opportunity to nominate colleagues for the Peter A. Wollitzer Advocacy Award;
- Use of The Forum membership logo on your institution’s website and in publications.
In April 2015, The Forum conducted a survey of its members in an effort to improve its member relations and communications. A full report of the data can be viewed here.